An Assessment of Labour Productivity Influencing Factors in the Construction Industry: A Case study of Zaria, Nigeria
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
In this research, factors affecting construction labour productivity in Zaria, Kaduna state was assessed. The research seeks to identify the factors affecting labour productivity in the research area. It is believed that this information will aid site managers and the construction professionals on decisions to take in-order to limit these controlling factors thereby leading to an improved level of efficiency in labour force, increase product labour productivity and reduce cost and time over runs on construction projects. The research adopted a quantitative research approach with the use of questionnaires as an instrument for data collection from site managers at construction sites in Zaria. Sixty-seven questionnaires were administered on construction sites within Zaria and Forty-one were returned giving a sixty-one percent response. The Questionnaire sought to assess the perception of site managers on factors affecting construction labour productivity. Data was analysed using descriptive statistics analysis to obtain frequencies, mean and Relative Importance Index (RII). RII was used to rank the factors. Thirty-Nine out of the Forty-One factors researched indicated high severity with the RII ranging between 0.60 RII < 0.80. The research revealed that external forces tend to affect construction labour productivity more than Site factors and Human Labour Factors. This can be attributed to the fact that site factors and Human Labour factors can be controlled by the site engineers while the external factors cannot be really controlled by the site engineers. The survey also revealed that Rain, Conflict with project stakeholders, Skill of labour, and Financial Crisis had a very high severity in affecting construction labour productivity on the construction sites in Zaria, Kaduna State.
- P. O. Olomolaiye, K. A. Wahab, and A. D. F. Price, "Problems Influencing Craftsmen's Productivity in Nigeria," Building and Environment, vol. Vol. 22, No. 4, no. 317-323, 1987.
- A. A. Attar, A. K. Gupta, and B. D. Desai, "A Study of Various Factors Affecting Labour Productivity and Methods to Improve it," IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, pp. 11-14, 2012.
- M. E. Khaled and F. A. Remon, "Factors Influencing Construction Labor Productivity in Egypt," Journal of Management in Engineering, 2013.
- G. Bekr, "Study of Significant Factors Affecting Labor Productivity at Construction Sites in Jordan: Site Survey," Journal of Engineering Technology (JET), vol. Volume 4, pp. 92-97, 07/01 2016, doi: 10.5176/2251-3701_4.1.178.
- S. Dixit, S. Mandal, J. Thanikal, and K. Saurabh, "Evolution of studies in construction productivity: A systematic literature review (2006–2017)," Ain Shams Engineering Journal, vol. 10, 02/01 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.asej.2018.10.010.
- S. Shoar and A. Banaitis, "Application of fuzzy fault tree analysis to identify factors influencing construction labor productivity: A high-rise building case study," Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, vol. 25, pp. 41-52, 01/25 2019, doi: 10.3846/jcem.2019.7785.
- S. Palikhe, S. Kim, and J. Kim, "Critical Success Factors and Dynamic Modeling of Construction Labour Productivity," International Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 17, 01/16 2018, doi: 10.1007/s40999-018-0282-3.
- A. Seddeeq, S. Assaf, A. Abdallah, and M. Hassanain, "Time and Cost Overrun in the Saudi Arabian Oil and Gas Construction Industry," Buildings, vol. 9, p. 41, 02/08 2019, doi: 10.3390/buildings9020041.
- A. Agarwal and S. Halder, "Identifying factors affecting construction labour productivity in India and measures to improve productivity," Asian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 21, 06/01 2020, doi: 10.1007/s42107-019-00212-3.
- S. M. Hafez, R. F. Aziz, E. S. Morgan, M. M. Abdullah, and E. K. Ahmed, "Critical factors affecting construction labour productivity in Egypt," Am J Chem Eng, vol. 2(2), pp. 35-50, 2014.
- S. Dantata, "General Overview of the Nigerian Construction Industry," Master of Engineering In Civil and Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007.
- NBS, "Nigerian construction Sector " in "Summary Report: 2010-2012," January 2015 2015.
- S. Abdullahi, "Determination Of Labour Outputs For Roof Carcassing, Roof Covering And Painting In The Nigerian Construction Industry," Ahmadu Bello University, Unpublished BSc. Project, Sepember 2010, 2010.
- K. Amadeo, "The Balance," in The Balance Web site, ed, 2018.
- C. Smriti. "Labour: Meaning and Characteristics." http://www.yourarticlelibrary.com/economics/labour-meaning-and-characteristics-economics/10795 (accessed July 22nd.
- Y. Kale and S. I. Doguwa, "On the Compilation of Labour Force Statistics for Nigeria," CBN Journal of Applied Statistics, vol. Vol. 6, No. 1(a), pp. 183-198, 2015.
- C. Paul and V. Bernard, "Measuring productivity in the construction industry," Building Research and Information, vol. 34(3), pp. 208-219, 2006.
- E. W. Merrow, K. A. Sonnhalter, R. Somanchi, and A. F. Griffith, "Productivity in the UK Engineering Construction Industry," Independent Project Analysis, 2009.
- U. Kohli, "Explaining Total Factor Productivity," University of New South Wales, , 2015.
- J. W. Kendrick, "Productivity trends: capital and labour," Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 38, p. 3, 1956.
- C. Ewe, LIM, The analysis of productivity in building construction. Loughborough: E.C. Lim, 1996.
- I. A. Odesola, M. Otali, and D. I. Ikediashi, "Effects of Project-Related Factors On Construction Labour Productivity in Bayelsa State of Nigeria," Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management, vol. Vol. 6, pp. 817-826, 2013.
- A. A. Edwin and A. Calistus, "Critical factors influencing construction labour productivity in carpentry and steel fixing in North-Central Nigeria," International Journal of Development and Sustainability, vol. Vol. 4 no. 8, pp. 1675-1684, 2014.
- I. A. Odesola, "Assessment of Management-Related Factors Affecting Construction Labour Productivity in Cross River State of Nigeria," Covenant Journal of Research in the Built Environment, vol. Vol. 3, No. 2., pp. 13-29, 2015.
- I. A. Odesola and G. I. Idoro, "Influence of Labour-Related Factors on Construction Labour Productivity in the South-South Geo-Political Zone of Nigeria," Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, vol. Vol. 19, 2014.
- A. Enshassi, S. Mohamed, Z. A. Mustafa, and P. E. Mayer, "Factors affecting labour productivity in building projects in the Gaza strip," Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, vol. Vol. XIII, pp. 245-254, 2007.
- V. A. Thomas and J. Sudhakumar, "Factors Influencing Construction Labour Productivity: An Indian Case Study," Journal of Construction in Developing Countries, vol. Vol. 19(1), pp. 53-68, 2014.
- M. A. Jarkas and G. C. Bitar, "Factors Affecting Construction Labor Productivity in Kuwait," Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, vol. Vol. 138, pp. 811-820, 2012.
- A. Makulsawatudom and M. Emsley, "Factors Affecting the Productivity of the Construction Industry In Thailand: The Project Managers’ Perception," in 17th Annual ARCOM Conference, University of Salford, 2001, vol. Vol. 1.
- G. B. Hickson and L. A. Ellis, "Factors affecting Construction Labour Productivity in Trinidad and Tobago," The Journal of the Association of Professional Engineers of Trinidad and Tobago, vol. Vol. 42, No. 1,, pp. 4-11, 2014.
- M. M. Gundecha, "Study of Factors Affecting Labour Productivity at a Building Construction Project in the USA: Web Survey," Master of Science, Construction Management and Engineering, North Dakota State University Of Agriculture and Applied Science, Fargo, North Dakota, 2012.
- S. Durdyev and J. Mbachu, "Key constraints to labour productivity in residential building projects: evidence from Cambodia," International Journal of Construction Management, vol. 18, pp. 1-9, 05/15 2017, doi: 10.1080/15623599.2017.1326301.
- A. O. O. Afolabi, R. A; Omuh, I; Tunji-Olayeni, P; Adeyemi, M, "Critical success factors influencing productivity of construction artisans in the building industry.," International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology (IJMET), vol. Volume 9, no. Issue 8, pp. 858-867, 2018.
- C. Ohueri, W. Enegbuma, N. Wong, K. Kuok, and R. Kenley, "Labour productivity motivation framework for Iskandar Malaysia," Built Environment Project and Asset Management, vol. 8, 05/24 2018, doi: 10.1108/BEPAM-09-2017-0070.
- M. H. Momade, S. Shahid, M. R. Hainin, and M. Nashwan, "Construction Labour Productivity: Review of Factors Identified," International Journal of Construction Management, 06/12 2019, doi: 10.1080/15623599.2019.1627503.
- W. Alaghbari, A. Al-Sakkaf, and B. Sultan, "Factors affecting construction labour productivity in Yemen," International Journal of Construction Management, vol. 19, pp. 79-91, 10/11 2019, doi: 10.1080/15623599.2017.1382091.
- V. Parath, "Improvement of Manpower and Equipment Productivity in Indian Construction Projects," 01/01 2019.
- P. R. G. A. B. M. P. R. Minde, "Importance of measurement of labour productivity in construction," IJRET: International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, 2016.