Coordinated Traffic Signal Design for Major Intersections in Sylhet City
- Coordinated Traffic Signal,
- Coordinated Phase,
- Cycle Length,
- Time-Space Diagram
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Traffic delay is a very common phenomenon in urban intersections where the traffic volume on the approach roads is high. Coordinated traffic signals based on real-time traffic can be very useful for minimizing intersection traffic delays. Therefore, this study is aimed to investigate the prospect of a coordinated signal system for the busiest and most closely spaced intersections (Ambarkhana, Chowhatta, and Zindabazar) in the Sylhet city of Bangladesh. This signal system will allow a continuous flow of traffic through moving vehicles between successive coordinated intersections so that the vehicles that running at the design speed can pass through the coordinated intersections without a significant halt. An isolated signal is designed for three intersections and linked up to them based on offset values (time to travel from one intersection to another). Phase splits were adjusted using the Time-Space diagram.
- Ren, Y., Jiang, S., Yan, G., Shan, H., Lin, H., Zhang, Z.,
- Wang, L., Zheng, X. and Song, J., 2022. Analysis of Mixed Vehicle Traffic Flow at Signalized Intersections Based on the Mixed Traffic Agent Model of Autonomous-Manual Driving Connected Vehicles. In Green Connected Automated Transportation and Safety (pp. 817-830). Springer, Singapore.
- Rahman, M.M. and Khadem, R., 2012. Deficiencies of
- traffic signal system in Dhaka City. J. Soc. Transp. Traffic Stud, 3, pp.63-73.
- Fancy, S. F., 2009, "Development of a Computer Aided Signaling System for the Sylhet Metropolitan City," B.Sc. Engg. Thesis, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- Rezvan O, Tabatabaei S. A, Yoosefi M., 2015. A Signal Timing Method to Reduce the Emissions in Arterials (Case Study: Enghelab Avenue in Ahvaz). Current World Environment, 10(Special Issue), p.15.
- Abdulhafedh, A., 2018. How to Design Traffic Signals at Multiple Coordinated Intersections. Int. J. Autom. Control Intell. Syst, 4(3), pp.29-35.
- P. Koonce and L. Rodegerdts, Koonce, P., Rodegerdts, L., Lee, K., Quayle, S., Beaird, S., Braud, C., Bonneson, J., Tarnoff, P., and Urbanik, T., 2008. "Traffic Signal Timing Manual," U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, FHWA, Report No. FHWA-HOP-08-024, pp. 6.1-6.50., United States. Federal Highway Administration, 2008.
- D. M. Bullock and M. Abbas, Bullock, D. and Abbas, M., 2001, "A Real-Time Offset Transitioning Algorithm for Coordinating Traffic Signals, Joint Transportation Research Program 1284," Civil Engineering Building, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-1284., 2001.
- B. De Coensel and D. Botteldooren, Coensel, B. D. and Botteldooren, D., 2011, "Traffic Signal Coordination: a Measure to Reduce the Environmental Impact of Urban Road Traffic?," Inter.Noise, Osaka, Japan., in 40th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering (Inter-Noise-2011), 2011, vol. 5, pp. 4218–4223.
- A. Hajbabaie, J. C. Medina, and R. F. Benekohal, Hajbabaie, A., Medina, J. C., and Benekohal, R. F., 2011, "Traffic Signal Coordination and Queue Management in Oversaturated Intersection," U.S. Department of Transportation, Research and Innovative Technology Administration (RITA), University Transportation Centers Program, NEXTRANS Project No. 047IY02.,” NEXTRANS Center (US), 2011.
- D. Pengdi, N. Muhan, W. Zhuo, Z. Zundong, and D. Honghui, Diao, P., Wang, Z., Zhang, Z. and Cheng, H., 2011, "Traffic Signal Coordinated Control Optimization: A Case Study," World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 60., in 2012 24th Chinese Control and Decision Conference (CCDC), 2012, pp. 827–831.
- H. Qi, R. Dai, Q. Tang, and X. Hu, Qi, H., Dai, R., Tang, Q. and Hu, X., 2020. "Coordinated intersection signal design for mixed traffic flow of human-driven and connected and autonomous vehicles.," IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 26067–26084, 2020.
- C. Zheng, G. Ma, J. Wu, X. Zhang, and X. Zhang, Zheng, C., Genghua, M., Jinhua, W., Zhang, X. and Zhang, X., 2012, "A Signal Coordination Control Based on Traversing Empty between Mid-Block Street Crossing and Intersection," Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society, Volume 2012, Article ID 189316, 18 pages.
- Yadav, U. K. and Kafi, T. J., 2013, "Design of Traffic Signal and Simulation Model of Existing Traffic of Sylhet City by Application of Synchro 8," B.Sc. Engg. Thesis, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology Sylhet, Bangladesh.
- B.B.S., 2012, Bangladesh Population and Housing Census 2011, Community Report, Zilla: Sylhet, Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Statistics and Informatics Division, Ministry of Planning, Government of the People’s of Bangladesh.
- Chowdhury, S.A., Haque, B. and Sarwar, G., 2014. Traffic Information Interface Development in Route Choice Decision. Transport and Telecommunication, 15(2), p.91.
- Henry, R. D., 2005, "Signal Timing on a Shoestring," U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, FHWA, Report No. FHWA-HOP-07-006, pp. 15-35.IRC: 41-1994, 1994, Guidelines for the Design of At-Grade Intersections in Rural and Urban Areas, The Indian Roads Congress, Jamnagar House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-110011.
- Chakroborty, P. and Das, A., 2003, Principles of Transportation Engineering, Prentice - Hall of India Private Limited, New Delhi, India.
- IRC: 93-1985, 1996, Guidelines on Design and Installation of Road Traffic Signals, The Indian Roads Congress, Jamnagar House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-110011.