Land Suitability Analysis for Identifying Industrial Zones in Duhok District, Kurdistan Region of Iraq
- Industrial zones,
- Site selection,
- Environmental considerations,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
This process of industrial zones site selection requires to fulfill requirements and standards, simultaneously reducing environmental and public health costs and maximizing technical and economic benefits. A geographic information system was used in this study to evaluate land suitability to propose suitable sites for industrial zones in Duhok district, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. The defined parameters were classified into two groups, specifically, environmental and socioeconomic criteria. The information layers were prepared and were standardized into Boolean logic. The parameters maps were combined using the Boolean logic technique, and the suitability map was achieved on two classes including unsuitable and suitable. The results showed that only about 10% (104 Km2) of the study area was evaluated as suitable areas for industrial zones, which are mainly found in the north, northwest, and central parts of the study area. The results also illustrated that most of the industries within the study area have been located in inappropriate sites which have had a severe impact on the air quality of Duhok city. This paper would present a solution for industrial site selection in Duhok and it is helpful for regional planning of the country.
- A. Rikalovic, I. Cosic, & D. Lazarevic. GIS Based Multi-Criteria Analysis for Industrial Site Selection. Procedia Engineer, 69, 1054-1063, 2014.
- F. Edrahim, A. Mehdi, F. Habib, Md. Ali. Industrial state site selection using MCDM method and GIS in Germi, Ardabil, IRAN. J Ind Intell Inf, 3(4), 324329, 2015.
- EK. Ramcharan, PK. Dey. The role of environmental factors in industrial site selection activities: a case of limestone quarry expansion in Barbados, West Indies. Impact Assess Proj Apprais, 23(2), 147154, 2005. doi:10.3152/147154605781765670
- H. Ramin, P. Hanafizadeh, M.A. Akhavan Behabadi. Thermal, Economical and Environmental Optimization of Insulation Thickness in Residential Buildings Wall. Modares Mech Engineer, 16, 13, 252-255. 2017.
- H. Karimi, B. M. A. Herki, S. Q. Gardi, S. Galali, H. Hossini, K. Mirzaei & M. Pirsaheb. Site selection and environmental risks assessment of medical solid waste landfill for the City of Kermanshah-Iran, International Int J Environ Heal R, 2020. 10.1080/09603123.2020.1742876
- J. Malczewski. GISbased multicriteria decision analysis: a survey of the literature, Int J Geogr Inf Sci, 20, 7, 703-726, 2006. 10.1080/13658810600661508.
- H. Karimi, J. Jafarnezhad, J. Khaledi & P. Ahmadi. Monitoring and prediction of land use/land cover changes using CA-Markov model: a case study of Ravansar County in Iran. Arab J Geosci. 11 (592). 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-018-3940-5
- A. Kourosh Niya, J. Huang, A. Kazemzadeh-Zow, H. Karimi, Naimi. Comparison of three hybrid models to simulate land use changes: a case study in Qeshm Island, Iran. Environ Monit Assess 192, 302. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-020-08274-6
- F.Effati, H. Karimi & A. Yavari. Investigating effects of land use and land cover patterns on land surface temperature using landscape metrics in the city of Tehran, Iran. Arab J Geosci. 14, 1240. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-021-07433-4
- Y. T. Mustafa. Multi-temporal Satellite Data for Land Use/Cover (LULC) Change Detection in Zakho, Kurdistan Region-Iraq. In: Al-Quraishi A., Negm A. (eds) Environmental Remote Sensing and GIS in Iraq. Springer Water. Springer, Cham. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-21344-2_7
- Y. T. Mustafa. Spatiotemporal Analysis of Vegetation Cover in Kurdistan Region-Iraq using MODIS Image Data, JASTT. 1 (1), 1-07. 2020.
- S. Galalizadeh, H. Karimi, B. Malekmohammadi, A. Sadeghi, S. Shirzadi. Environmental risk assessment and mapping of oil installations to Chamshir Dam water basin using GIS and HAZOP method. International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 23(3/4), 207. 2020. http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/ijram.2020.114358
- Muhammed, H. Karimi, B. Gharab, S. Neamat, and K. Mirzaei. Assessment of the Quality of the Environment in Duhok Province, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. JoCEF, 1 (1), 20-24, 2020.
- S. Neamat and H. Karimi. A systematic review of GIS-based landslide Hazard Mapping on Determinant Factors from International Databases," 2020 International Conference on Advanced Science and Engineering (ICOASE), 180-183. 2020. 10.1109/ICOASE51841.2020.9436611
- N. Haregeweyn, A. Tsunekawa, J. Poesen, M. Tsubo, D. T. Meshesha, A. A. Fenta, J. Nyssen, E. Adgo. Comprehensive assessment of soil erosion risk for better land use planning in river basins: A case study of the Upper Blue Nile River. Sce Total Environ 574, 95-108, 2017.
- H. Karimi, A. Soffianian, N. Mirghaffari,. Determining Air Pollution Potential Using Geographic Information Systems and Multi-criteria Evaluation: A Case Study in Isfahan Province in Iran. Environ. Process, 3, 229246. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40710-016-0136-4
- H. Karimi, M. Bengin, A. Herki, S. Gharibi, S.Hamiditehrani, A. Kakhani. Identifying Public Parking Sites Using Itegrating GIS And Ordered Weighted Averaging Approach in Sanadai City, Iran. JCR; 7(4), 506-513. 2020.
- V. Nb O. Kr M. Debella-Gilo. Identifying Suitable Bioeconomic Cluster SitesCombining GIS-MCDA and Operational Research Methods. Environ Model Assess 25, 689703. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10666-020-09694-x
- H. Karimi, S. Amiri, Huang, A. Karimi. Integrating GIS and multi-criteria decision analysis for landfill site selection, case study: Javanrood County in Iran. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 16, 73057318, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-018-2151-7
- M. Salari, S. M. Shariat, R. Rahimi, & S. Dashti. Land capability evaluation for identifying industrial zones: combination multi-criteria decision-making method with geographic information system. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol, 16, 55015512, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-018-1925-2
- H. Karimi, A. Soffianian, S. Seifi, S. Pourmanafi, & H. Ramin, Evaluating optimal sites for combined-cycle power plants using GIS: comparison of two aggregation methods in Iran. Int J Sustain Energy, 39, 101 112, 2020.
- I. Rikalovic, R. Cosic, D. Labati and V. Piuri. Intelligent Decision Support System for Industrial Site Classification: A GIS-Based Hierarchical Neuro-Fuzzy Approach. IEEE Syst J, 12, 3, 2970-2981, 2017. doi: 10.1109/JSYST.2017.2697043.
- H. Ramin, H. Karimi. Optimum envelope design toward zero energy buildings in Iran. E3S Web Conf, 172 16004, 2020. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202017216004
- M. Raisi, A. Soffianian, Industrial site selection by combining geographic information system and multi criteria decision analysis, WULFENIA. 20, 116-129, 2013.
- S. Siefi, H. Karimi, A. Soffianian, & S. Pourmanafi, GIS-Based Multi Criteria Evaluation for Thermal Power Plant Site Selection in Kahnuj County, SE Iran. Civ Eng Infrast J, 50, 179-189, 2017.
- H. Ramin, P. Hanafizadeh, T. Ehterami, M. A. AkhavanBehabadi. Life cycle-based multi-objective optimization of wall structures in climate of Tehran. Adv. Build. Energy Res, 13, 1, 18-31, 2019. 10.1080/17512549.2017.1344137
- N. Muhsin, T. Ahamed, & R. Noguchi, GIS-based multi-criteria analysis modeling used to locate suitable sites for industries in suburban areas in Bangladesh to ensure the sustainability of agricultural lands,2018, Asia-Pac J Reg Sci 2, 3564 https://doi.org/10.1007/s41685-017-0046-0