Influence of Laboratory Aging on the Engineering Properties of Dgams Containing Two Different Iraqi Asphalts
- Asphalt Binders,
- Engineering Properties,
- Moisture Damage
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The influence of laboratory aging on Marshall stability (MS), Marshall quotient (MQ), indirect tensile strength (ITS) at 25 and 60° C, tensile strength ratio (TSR), resilient modulus (MR), modulus of rupture (MOR), cohesion, and aging index (AI) of dense graded asphalt mixes (DGAMs) containing Baiji (B) and Qayyarah (Q) Iraqi asphalt was examined. The results of DGAMs containing B and Q-asphalt showed 46% and 43%, and 37% and 24% higher MS, 132% and 99%, and 111% and 78% higher MQ, 24%, and 20%, and 14% and 10% higher ITS at 25° C, 4%, and 3% and 20%, and 13% higher ITS at 60° C, 27% and 19%, and 26% and 24% higher MOR at 0° C, and 25% and 18%, and 24% and 21% higher MOR at -10° C. For 4 and 8 d aging, TSR was 11% and 7%, and 4%, and 3% higher, MR 52% and 38%, and 38% and 24% higher, cohesion 73% and 58%, and 58% and 44% higher, and AI 1.74 and 1.58, and 1.56 and 1.44 times higher, respectively.
- T. Gandhi, W. Rogers, S. Amirkhanian, Laboratory evaluation of warm mix asphalt ageing characteristics, Int J Pavement Eng 11(2010) 133142).
- P.E. Sebaaly, E.Y. Hajj, M. Piratheepan, Evaluation of selected warmmix asphalt technologies, Road Mater Pavement Des 6 (2015) 475486.
- A. Banerjee, A.D. Smit, J.A. Prozzi, The effect of long-term aging onthe rheology of warm mix asphalt binders, Fuel (2012) 603611.
- Y.-R. Kim, J. Zhang, H. Ban, Moisture damage characterization ofwarm-mix asphalt mixtures based on laboratory-eld evaluation,Constr Build Mater (2012) 204211.
- P.A. Dokandari, A. Topal, Eects of warm mix asphalt additives onaging characteristics of bituminous mixtures, PeriodicaPolytechnicaCivil Eng 59 (2015) 475486.
- B. Li, J. Yang, X. Li, X. Liu, F. Han, L. Li, Eect of short-term agingprocess on the moisture susceptibility of asphalt mixtures and binderscontaining sasobit warm mix additive, Adv Mater Sci Eng (2015).
- Hicks RG, Santucci L, Aschenbren T. Introduction and seminarobjectives. Moisture Sensitivity of Asphalt Pavements-A NationalSeminar; 2003.
- R.G. Hicks, Moisture damage in asphalt concrete, Transp Res Board175 (1991).
- B. Hofko, A. Falchetto, J. Grenfell, L. Huber, X. Lu, L. Porot, L.D.Poulikakos, Z. You, Effect of short-term ageing temperature onbitumen properties, Road Mater Pavement Des (2017) 110.
- S. Wu, W. Zhang, S. Shen, X. Li, B. Muhunthan, L.N. Mohammad,Field-aged asphalt binder performance evaluation for Evothermwarm mix asphalt: comparisons with hot mix asphalt, Constr BuildMater 156 (2017) 574583.
- P.K. Das, R. Balieu, N. Kringos, B. Bjorn, On the oxidative ageingmechanism and its effect on asphalt mixtures morphology, MaterStruct 48 (2015) 31133127.
- P. Das, H. Baaj, N. Kringos, S. Tighe, Coupling of oxidative ageingand moisture damage in asphalt mixtures, Road Mater Pavement Des16 (2015) 265279.
- B.P. Das, N. Bhargava, A.K. Siddagangaiah, Inuence of environmentalconditions on the performance of bituminous mixtures, AdvCivil Eng Mater 7 (2) (2018).
- Bell A. Chris, et.al.. , (1994) Laboratory Aging of Asphalt-Aggregate Mixtures: Field Validation, SHRP-A-390, Strategic Highway Research Program, Oregon State University, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- Al-Hadidy AI (2018). Engineering behavior of aged polypropylene-modied asphaltpavements. J. Construction and Building Materials, vol. 191, PP 187-192.
- Al-Hadidy AI (2018). Effect of laboratory aging on moisture susceptibility and resilient modulus of asphalt concrete mixes containing PE and PP polymers. Karbala International Journal of Modern Science, vol. 4, PP 377-381.
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), (2004), Standard Specification, Section 4, Vol. 04-03.
- Asphalt Institute (1984). Mix design method for asphalt concrete and other hot-mix types (MS-2).
- State cooperation of road and bridges (SCRB), (2003). Hot mix asphaltic concrete pavement, Iraqi standard specification, Ministry of Housing and Construction. Department of Design and Study, Section R-9.