Combining GIS and Analytical Hierarchy Process for Landfill Siting, Study Area: Paveh County in Iran
- Landfill site,
- solid waste,
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Landll siting is a complex and challenging operation. It is one of the fundamental problems in waste management, where it is necessary to consider different conditions when it comes to selecting an appropriate site for landll in each area. The factors or criteria we used in this article are environmental, economic, and social criteria. In this research, the Geographic Information System (GIS) and the Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) were utilized to select the most suitable sites for landll in Paveh, which the current landfill in this county does not follow environmental laws. In the process of zoning sites for landll in Paveh, twelve various criteria were mapped and join for cover analyses within GIS application to construct the last suitability index map for the site. The weightings of criteria were done with the help of AHP, and the weightings of the criteria were identified based on various factors. For this purpose, we used experts opinions, governmental regulations, and previous literature. Paveh is located in Kermanshah in the western part of Iran with 736 km^2area. The results show that almost 93% of the study areas is improper for landfill sitting.
- EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) (2016) Municipal solid waste. https://www.epa.gov/report-environment
- Pichtel J (2005) Waste management practice. Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton
- Ferronato N, Torretta V, Ragazzi M, Rada EC (2017) Waste mismanagement in developing countries: a case study of environmental contamination. UPB Sci Bull Ser D 79:185–3
- Chandrappa R, Brown J (2012) Solid waste management. Springer, Berlin. https ://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-28681 -0
- Ludwig C, Hellweg S, Stucki S (2003) Municipal solid waste management. Springer, Berlin. https ://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-55636-4
- Kharlamova MD, Mada SY, Grachev VA (2016) Landfills: Problems, Solutions, and Decision making of Waste Disposal in Harare (Zimbabwe). Biosci Biotech Res Asia 13(1)
- Santhosh LG, Sivakumar BG (2018) Landfill site selection based on reliability concepts using the DRASTIC method and AHP integrated with GIS—a case study of Bengaluru city, India. Georisk Assess Manag Risk Eng Syst Geohazards 12(3):234–252. https :// doi.org/10.1080/17499 518.2018.14345 48pp. 271–350.
- Khorram A, Yousefi M, Alavi SA, Farsi J (2015) Convenient landfill site selection by using fuzzy logic and geographic information systems: a case study in Bardaskan, East of Iran. Health Scope 4(1):e19383K. Elissa, “Title of paper if known,” unpublished.
- Rahmat ZG, Niri MV, Alavi N et al (2017) Landfill site selection using GIS and AHP: a case study: Behbahan, Iran. KSCE J Civ Eng 21:111–118. https ://doi.org/10.1007/s1220 5-016-0296-9
- Al-Anbari MA, Al-Ansari N, Jasim HK (2014) GIS and multi-criteria decision analysis for landfill site selection in Al-Hashemiyah Qadaa. Nat Sci 6:282–304. https ://doi.org/10.4236/ns.2014.65032
- Feo GD, Gisi SD (2014) Using MCDA and GIS for hazardous waste landfill siting considering land scarcity for waste disposal. Waste Manag 34(11):2225–2238. https ://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasma n.2014.05.028
- Kapilan S, Elangovan K (2018) Potential landfill site selection for solid waste disposal using GIS and multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA). J Cent South Univ 25(3):570–585
- Eskandari M, Homaee M, Mahmodi S (2012) An integrated multi criteria approach for landfill siting in a conflicting environmental, economic and socio-cultural area. Waste Manag 32(8):1528–1538. https ://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasma n.2012.03.014
- Karimi, H., Amiri, S., Huang, J. et al. Integrating GIS and multi-criteria decision analysis for landfill site selection, case study: Javanrood County in Iran. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 16, 7305–7318. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-018-2151-7
- Santhosh LG, Sivakumar BG (2018) Landfill site selection based on reliability concepts using the DRASTIC method and AHP integrated with GIS—a case study of Bengaluru city, India. Georisk Assess Manag Risk Eng Syst Geohazards 12(3):234–252. https :// doi.org/10.1080/17499 518.2018.14345 48
- Khan MH, Vaezi M, Kuma A (2018) Optimal siting of solid waste to-value-added facilities through a GIS-based assessment. Sci Total Environ 610:1065–1075. https ://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.08.169
- Karimzadeh Motlagh Z, Sayadi M (2015) Siting MSW landfills using MCE methodology in GIS environment (Case study: Birjand plain, Iran). Waste Manag 46:322–337. https ://doi.org/10.1016/j. wasma n.2015.08.013
- Barakat A, Hilali A, Baghdadi M, Touhami F (2016) Landfill site selection with GIS-based multi-criteria evaluation technique A case study in Béni Mellal-Khouribga Region, Morocco. Environ Earth Sci 76:413. https ://doi.org/10.1007/s1266 5-017-6757-8
- Kontos, T.D.; Komilis, D.P.; Halvadakis, C.P. Siting MSW landlls on Lesvos Island with a GIS based methodology. Waste Manag. Res. 2003, 21, 262277. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- El Alfy, Z.; Elhadary, R.; Elashry, A. Integrating GIS and MCDM to Deal with landll site selection. Int. J. Eng. Technol. 2010, 10, 3242.
- Karimi H, Herki B, Gardi S, Galali S, Hooshyar Hossini, Karamreza Mirzaei & Meghdad Pirsaheb (2020) Site selection and environmental risks assessment of medical solid waste landfill for the City of Kermanshah-Iran, International Journal of Environmental Health Research, DOI: 10.1080/09603123.2020.1742876
- Nas, B.; Cay, T.; Iscan, F.; Berktay, A. Selection of MSW landll site for Konya, Turkey using GIS and multi-criteria evaluation. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2010, 160, 491500. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Aksaler, N.; Yerli, S.K.; Erdogan, M.A.; Kaba, K.; Ak, T.; Aslan, Z.; Bakis, V.; Demircan, O.; Evren, S.; Keskin, V.; et al. Astronomical site selection for Turkey using GIS techniques. Exp. Astron. 2015, 39, 547566. [CrossRef]
- Zhu, B.; Nie, Y.; Nan, R.; Peng, B. The FAST/SKA site selection in Guizhou province. Sources Scintill. 2001, 278, 213218.
- Saaty, T.L. The Analytic Hierarchy Process; McGraw Hill: New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- Saaty, T.L. Fundamentals of Decision Making and Priority Theory with AHP; RWS Publications: Pittsburg, PA, USA, 2000.
- Karimi H, Soffianian A, Seifi S, Pourmanafi S & Ramin H (2020) Evaluating optimal sites for combined-cycle power plants using GIS: comparison of two aggregation methods in Iran, International Journal of Sustainable Energy, 39:2, 101-112, DOI: 10.1080/14786451.2019.1659271
- Rahman, A. GIS based DRASTIC model for assessing groundwater vulnerability in shallow aquifer in Aligarh, India. Appl. Geogr. 2008, 28, 3253. [CrossRef]
- Vahidnia, M.H.; Alesheikh, A.A.; Alimohammadi, A. Hospital site selection using fuzzy AHP and its derivatives. J. Environ. Manag. 2009, 90, 30483056. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Malczewski J (2004) GIS-based land-use suitability analysis: a critical overview. Prog Plan 62(1):365. https ://doi.org/10.1016/j.progress.2003.09.002
- Karimi, H., S. Amiri, J. Huang, and A. Karimi. "Integrating GIS and multi-criteria decision analysis for landfill site selection, case study: Javanrood County in Iran." International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 16, no. 11 (2019): 7305-7318.
- Chabuk, Ali, Nadhir Al-Ansari, Hussain Musa Hussain, Sven Knutsson, Roland Pusch, and Jan Laue. "Combining GIS applications and method of multi-criteria decision-making (AHP) for landfill siting in Al-Hashimiyah Qadhaa, Babylon, Iraq." Sustainability 9, no. 11 (2017): 1932.
- Al-Anbari, Mohammad A., Mohanad Y. Thameer, and Nadhir Al-Ansari. "Landfill site selection by weighted overlay technique: case study of Al-Kufa, Iraq." Sustainability 10, no. 4 (2018): 999
- Shorabeh, Saman Nadizadeh, Ahmadreza Varnaseri, Mohammad Karimi Firozjaei, Fatemeh Nickravesh, and Najmeh Neysani Samany. "Spatial modeling of areas suitable for public libraries construction by integration of GIS and multi-attribute decision making: Case study Tehran, Iran." Library & Information Science Research (2020): 101017.
- ener, ehnaz, Erhan ener, Bilgehan Nas, and Remzi Karag"Combining AHP with GIS for landfill site selection: a case study in the Lake Beyehir catchment area (Konya, Turkey)." Waste management 30, no. 11 (2010): 2037-2046.