Assessment of Abuja-Kaduna “Trunk A” Carriageway Drains and its Implications on National Development
- cambering road,
- rotting road,
- vehicle axle
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The development of road transport in Nigeria dates back to 1910, when the existing bush pathways were converted into motorable highways. When the country witnessed a modernized network of important roads for articulated vehicles and passenger automobiles at the conclusion of the Second World War. Since 1975 and via the third and fourth Development Rolling Plans in Nigeria, the government at all levels has used road construction as a tool of pollution control since it impacts people's socioeconomic lives. As a result, many road construction projects are failing long before the worldwide standard lifespan of 20 to 25 years. This study evaluates the carriageway cambering condition, which is one of the primary fundamental elements influencing highway durability. It determines the carriage water drain and road pounding by vehicular weight transfer along the "A2" trunk route linking Lokoja, Abuja, Kaduna, Zaria, and Kano. According to the study, the gradient of all the portions of the road rehabilitated tends to be zero camber, resulting in the occurrence of visible surface folding, potholes, and pounding ln a defined pattern. It is thus recommended that all major road constructions in Nigeria be subjected to cambering tests prior to project delivery and utilisation in order to reduce the economic waste expended on constant repairs of this and other such roads in a country, which mostly transport its goods and services on roads.
- A. Frederick, A. (trans.), ed., Virgil's Aeneid. Oxford UP. pp. l39–40, 2007, lSBN 978-o-l9-923l95-9.
- R. Devereux. John Loudon McAdam: Chapters ln the History of Highways: Oxford University Press, London, 1936.
- A. W. Skempton, ed. (2002). A Biographical Dictionary of Civil Engineers in Great Britain and Ireland: l500–l830. London: Thomas Telford. 2002. p. 4l6.
- UlTP. Investing ln Public Transport infrastructure as Part of the European Union Package for Jobs, Growth and Investment, 2014.
- A. Ferreira, and G. Flintsch, Life-Cycle Cost Analysis System for Infrastructure Management, Proceedings of the lCCESo4 - International Conference on Computational and Experimental Engineering and Sciences, Madeira, Portugal, 2004, pp. l687-l692.
- Houston Radar LLC (2ol4).Houston Radar Advanced Traffic Statistics Analyser User Manual. l28l8 Century Drive, Stafford, TX 77477. Http://www.Houston-Radar.com
- V. M. Tom, and K. V. Krishna Rao, Introduction to Transportation Engineering, 2017.
- EU Research and innovation for Europe's future mobility developing a European Transport-technology Strategy. Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament, 2012.
- Asset Management & Maintenance Standard. Pavement Assessment, Repair and Renewal Principles. Transport infrastructure Ireland Tll, National Road Authority Dublin, AM-PAV-o6o5o, Erratum No. l & 2,Vol. 7, Section 3 Part 4, NRA HD 3l/l5, 2015.
- TS. Surface Course Specification & Guidance, Transport Scotland, issue 01, Vol. 7, Section 5, Part 2 HD 37/lX, 2010.
- The Highway Agency. Surface Drainage of Wide Carriageways Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, lreland, 4(2) Part 2 TA 80/99, 1999.
- Kirklees Council. Highways Guidance Note – Gradients, version 2, 2019. https://www.klrklees.gov.uk/beta/regeneratlon-and-development/pdf/hlghways-guldance-gradlents.pdf
- Australian Design Templates. Australian Design Vehicles and Turning Path Templates. Austroads Publication, No. AP- G34/06, 2006.
- lreland National Roads Authority, 20l5)
- ASTM E 95-98-04. American Standard Test Method for measuring the longitudinal profile of travelled surfaces, American Society for Testing, 2004.
- TERM -0l. Indicators tracking transport and environment integration in the European Union. Copenhagen EEA; 2001.
- Oladipo, O. O. (20l4). “Development of the National Trunk Roads ln Nigeria and the Socioeconomic Impact, l960 – 20l3”. A PhD Thesis submitted to Department of History and Diplomatic Studies, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago lwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria. unpublished
- Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC). Traffic Digestion, 2011.
- Kayode, O. Corps Commander Corps Transport Standardization officer, Federal Road Safety Corps, National Headquarters, Nigeria, 2010.